For Indiana/MidWest German instructors and learners:
"Our third annual German Theater Project for High Schools festival will take place on the IU campus in Bloomington on Saturday, 9 April. We are now accepting your students’ submissions for the competition. All digitally recorded submissions post marked and mailed to the address below by 2 March 2016 will be eligible. Schools are allowed to submit multiple entries, and you are not required to be present at the festival in order to be eligible for prizes. So have your students send in their submissions, even if their spring break is during the festival date.
TWO NEW ADDITIONAL AWARDS IN 2016 - The committee will also select "Best Acting" and "Best Use of German" from all of the submissions.
We will invite groups of up to ten students from at least ten different Indiana high school German programs to present video recorded versions of their brief (no more than 10 minutes) theatrical productions in German. Students can be in any level of German, but performances need to be in German with memorized roles. We will also give invited students an option to perform their submissions live, instead of presenting their recorded submission, if they so choose. Individual students may also submit performed monologues.
• Awards will be given to the best performances in two categories, original and adaptive scripts. Remember, the quality of video production is not the winning criterion; rather it is the theatrical performance of the students that merits the awards.
• At the festival students will also participate in interactive workshops to hone their acting skills, German pronunciation, and dialect appreciation.
• Additionally, German teachers accompanying the students will participate in a new professional development workshop on theater and foreign language teaching.
• All participants at the festival will receive a free t-shirt, lunch and refreshments.
• Travel reimbursement for up to $150 per attending school will be available.
Our updated website contains previous years’ winners, and feel free to share the site with your students, administrators, and German instructor colleagues. We are currently having new t-shirts made and the graduate students are enthusiastically designing several different interactive student workshops for the festival.
Please contact me at any time if you have any questions or concerns.
mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Let us know what you think!